Exotic Sesame Coated Dates
½ pound soft dates, pitted and roughly chopped
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. rose water
¼ cup warm water, as needed
½ cup sesame seed
1. In a food processor, pulse the almonds until finely chopped but not powdered. It should have a texture much like grated cheese.
2. Add the pitted dates and pulse a few more times in the processor. Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Add the cinnamon and rosewater. Add the warm butter mixture with the dates in the processor. Pulse again a few times to mix the ingredients to a smooth consistency. Taste and add a little more cinnamon or rose water if you prefer.
3. Test the consistency by taking a piece of date dough and forming a small ball. If it holds well together, you have the right consistency. If it breaks up, add a few drops at a time of warm water in the processor to the date mixture.
4. Slightly wet your hands and take a small piece of date dough in the palm of your hand, roll into a 2 inch oblong log. Repeat process until you have used up all of the date dough.
5. Next, place the sesame seeds on a flat plate and roll the logs into the sesame seeds, pressing them lightly to stick. Arrange them on a serving dish and serve.
The scrumptious date bites can be made in the shape of little balls or oval resembling the shape of the date!
Posted by Alba Carbonaro Johnson