Sicilian Sesame Cookies
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking Powder
Pinch of salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
2 cups sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two baking sheets, or place parchment on baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a wooden spoon mix everything together, add the butter and mix again until blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange zest and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, and continue mixing until you have a smooth dough.
4. Take a pinch off a small piece of dough and roll it into a log about 2 inches long. Put the sesame seeds on a plate and roll each log into the sesame seeds. Press them lightly so they will stick.
5. Put cookie on the baking sheets about 2 inch apart. Bake for 25 minutes or until just lightly browned. Makes About 4 Dozen.
Growing up we often dipped these cookies in lemonade, while my grandfather and father would dip them in wine.
Posted by Alba Carbonaro Johnson