Spice It Up Tzatziki



Tzatziki spices and Feta 




Tzatziki is a traditional Greek dish using thick Greek Yogurt and refreshing cucumbers. There are some variants of this recipe depending on the region of Greece. It is usually served as an accompaniment with gyros, kebabs, or pita bread. I created my own version because that’s what I like to do with recipes that interest me.  Since I love hummus so much, I used spices that I thought would go well with my version of Tzatziki. I served it with grilled Italian meatballs and grilled peppers and onions.  Ottimo we say in Italian!



3 small Persian cucumbers, divided
1 ½ cups full-fat Greek yogurt, strained
1 large clove garlic, mashed and minced
Pinch Sea salt
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons minced fennel greens (or fresh dill)
1-2 ounces Greek feta, cut in small cubes
Ground coriander for decoration
Ground cumin for decoration
Ground paprika for decoration  

The cucumber: Finely chop 2 cucumbers, no need to remove the skin. Transfer to a sieve, sprinkle with sea salt, and allow to drain about an hour in a bowl.  After an hour push down with a spatula to squeeze out any additional excess liquid.

Note: I used small Persian cucumbers because they have much fewer seeds and are tastier. You can also drink the cucumber juice, no need to throw it away.

The Yogurt: Place the yogurt in a small sieve over another bowl and allow to drain about an hour in the bowl.
Note: I used grass fed full-fat Greek Yogurt, more delicious!
Combine: in a larger bowl, combine the cucumbers, yogurt, minced herb, garlic, a tablespoon of olive oil, tiny pinch of salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes; mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours so the flavors will combine well.
Serve: Transfer the tzatziki to a round bowl, not too deep. Add a few kalamata olive in the center of the dish.  Then thinly slice 1 cucumber and place around the bowl. Add feta pieces on top, and sprinkle the top with paprika, cumin, and coriander. Lastly, adorn with a thread of excellent olive oil to finish the dish. 

1 comment: