A Snow Day Recipe: Potato Beef Peas Casserole
1 lb. golden potatoes, cooked and mashed
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
4 oz. pancetta, finely diced
3/4 lb. lean ground beef (or lamb)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped finely
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 large egg, beaten
6 oz. Asiagio cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Boil the potatoes until tender and strain them well. Place them in a bowl, add the butter, salt and pepper and mash.
3. In a skillet, heat the olive oil; add chopped onion and sauté for about 5-6 minutes until translucent. Add the panceta and saute until just golden. Next, add beef and sauté until the beef is completely cooked and just golden.
4. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, rosemary, red pepper flakes and cinnamon. Sauté for about 2 more minutes.
5. Butter a 9 x 12 casserole. Place half of the mashed potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Add the meat mixture first then the peas. Cover with the remaining mashed potatoes. Smooth the top surface.
6. Cover the top of the casserole with the beaten eggs and sprinkle with Asiagio cheese and more pepper. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden. Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before serving.
Posted by Alba Carbonaro Johnson